Tuesday, June 2, 2009

That Ain't a Knife...


........this is a knife.
Ok, so I've sort of hinted around this topic frequently, that a knife is a very useful tool. Almost all survival experts will agree that the single most useful tool (next to the brain) is the knife. There are knife fanatics out there who endlessly collect, haggle over, polish (as in physically brandish, fondle and rub sensuously... ahem), worship and cogitate over every nuance of cutlery and how to display or carry it, and what I'm going to state next is going to cause a whole vast tribe of knife enthusiasts to groan and call me a Phillistine, but.... in a survival situation, a shiv made from a sharpened piece of aircraft with a cloth wrapped handle is probably sufficient for 99% of your immediate emergency needs. Sure, if I had my druthers I'd love a 7" Damascus Bowie with stag handle, but I said it before and I'll say it again, what's the best knife for survival? The one that you have with you. I don't mean to discourage people from researching and seeking out a "good" knife, but I just remind people to consider, how likely are you to have it with you if it's a giant honkin' Rambo knife. Remember, just about any knife will last long enough to poke a hole through something, and with any luck, it will probably be able to simply cut things whether you pay $1 or $1000.



Nowadays with just minimal investment and thought a pretty decent, practical knife (suitable for EDC, utility or survival needs) can be obtained. IMO, the best knife steels (raw material) are Damascus, Sheffield, Solingen and from parts of Japan. I daresay, the knife market is flooded with knives from China, Taiwan, India and Pakistan and I won't outright say that they are inferior, however, with few exceptions they tend to be imitations or knockoffs of popular Western knife designs. In some cases, it is just Western companies who established their manufacturing plants in China, where the labour is cheaper.



I've mentioned that I like the Victorinox products and own several. I love the Leatherman products and use mine as my "primary" EDC utility tool. I occasionally carry a separate quick-deployment knife made by Cold Steel for the sole purpose of situations where quick, one-hand deployment would be useful: to cut away entanglements, rescue access, and back-up self defense. Going bigger, I have a favourite "Universal Survival Machete" about 12" long that is based on the Bolo knife, which I used in Jungle Environment Survival Training. It's a great, versatile tool that I can, given enough time, build a house with, furnish, stock with food, and cook with... LOL. Seriously.


For most people and for 90% of "survival" needs, almost any decent quality, locking blade knife with a 3" to 5" blade length is sufficient. Just off the top of my head, Boker, SOG, Smith and Wesson, CRKT, Gerber, Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, Camillus, Buck, Cold Steel, Victorinox, and A.G. Russell are all trusted, respected brandname knifemakers that all make at least one basic lockback that is good for EDC or one's BOB. There are some well known "knockoff" knife makers that make a (probably) sufficient product for a bargain price, but I won't vouch for their longterm reliability, like Frost Cutlery and United Cutlery. I have an "extra" (read: back-up) Spyderco serrated, Smith and Wesson rescue, and a CRKT tanto knife permanently stored with my Rope Bag, my Medic Bag, and the Rescue Module of my Go Bag respectively.



But if the SHTF, and I had to depend on one knife to do it all. If I had to choose one knife rugged enough, versatile enough, and, yes, even deadly enough to cover all my needs, I'd go with something like the Kabar Tanto. I've messed around with a variety of knife designs through the years, some bigger, some fancier, some cheaper, some more feature-loaded, but I always seem to come back to a similar set of key features in my choice for a fixed blade knife, practically designed for survival, utility, diving, and combat (the ultimate back-up). My general "wishlist" for desireable knife features include:


1-high carbon steel for temper and hardness. This knife is 1095, which is AISI grade wt 0.95% carbon. A knife that will sharpen well (a knife's basic function).


2-durable point. Seems fundamental to all knives but the Tanto chisel point design is especially effective. It is considered "armour piercing". The ability to pierce (very effectively) as well as cut can come in very handy for survival and defense.


3-full tang. From the blade through the handle should be integral for durability and "abusive" functions (like prying and levering).

4-comfortable grip. The rubberized texture, the palm-swell, the grip/drainage grooves and the oval cross-section of the Kabar is perfect for me. It just feels good and secure in your hand (in both overhand and underhand positions, wet or dry). This is a matter of hand size and preference. Some knives just don't fit or feel right.


5-subdued colour. The epoxy coating on the blade doesn't flash reflected light. It's not for brandishing and "show", but for tactical or survival use where concealment, escape or evasion might be part of the mission.


6-corrosion resistance. The same coating also protects the knife from corrosion (i.e. seawater, salty fluids).


7-practical weight (about a pound or so). The heftiness of the blade is practical for certain functions (like piercing with mass behind it), yet is nicely balanced.


8-practical length (6" min). Good length for certain combat functions and extra length actually helps the balance. 8" blade.


9-practical thickness. Another great "Tanto" feature. Gives the knife great durability, like the potential use as an "axe" by hammering on the back of the blade with an object.


10-practical pommel. Forget the compasses, the compartments, the clip-on slingshots, the "spikes", or decorations on other knives... the Kabar has a very functional, simple and durable flat pommel (useful for hammering and striking) plus a lanyard hole.


11-serrations (a partial section of blade). Always handy for quick aggressive cutting of tough or fibrous materials. Some people prefer the plain blade. I've always thought a small section of serrations couldn't hurt, and actually helps a lot for many practical tasks.


12 -Then add on a durable, comfortable, adjustable sheath, unaffected by water. The Kydex sheath for the Kabar Tanto is nice and is perforated with ample holes, slots and belt loops so that you can configure it to multiple carry methods. It grips the knife amply, but it also has a back up rubber loop "lock" (so that it cannot fall out). My only comment: the sheath is rigid and, I think, just a bit "noisy" both in movement and in deploying the knife. It's like a hard piece of plastic. I improvised a way to "silence" it.



There are many other knives that meet these criteria and much is a matter of personal preference in selecting a knife, but I found that this Kabar Tanto satisfies my entire "wishlist" of design criteria and so far has served me well. Also, you should know that it is nothing but a "tool" to me. I don't particularly cherish and protect it (though I keep it sharp and clean). My knife is meant to be used and if necessary "used up" if the situation calls for it. Certain knives in my life have earned a name when by use the character of the blade is discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment