Monday, June 1, 2009

The SO Tech Go Bag


I should mention for those that might get confused that I make a subtle distinction between my "Go Bag" and my BOB ("Bug Out Bag)" though both are very similar in concept and content. My BOB is more my dedicated "survival" bag. My Go Bag is similar but it is mostly stuff that I need handy everyday, right now, or when traveling. Ok, ok... it might be fair to call it my "man purse".

The SO Tech Go Bag that I currently use is one specifically designed by military operators as a long narrow MOLLE bag to fit neatly under the seat, the footwell, of a Humvee, aircraft or other military vehicle. It's a relatively small capacity bag designed just to hold important, handy, or comfort items close at hand, and in case of the immediate need to egress the vehicle, one can easily grab one's weapon and this handy bag and have all the essentials.

After fiddling around with multi-pocket "cop gear" bags, civilian messenger bags, modular MOLLE rucks, and triangular sling packs for carrying/organizing my small frequently used gear, essential, personal, and comfort items, I finally stumbled across this Go Bag design quite by accident on eBay about 2 years ago and, I must say, after using it extensively, I have not been disappointed. For me, the main issue was how it fit inside my truck (how it unobtrusively stayed out of my way, and yet, allowed me to access gear or grab everything all at once). This bag design was obviously well thought out.

I have it configured so that two (of the four) flat pockets are most easily reached even while driving. One holds my GPS. One holds a defensive device configured for immediate deployment (BTW, the double access zippers can be "padlocked" closed, if you care to, meeting the legal definition of a locked container). The other two flat pockets are mostly under my seat and not easily accessible but they contain toiletry articles (so I can overnight it anytime) and field "toilet" gear (packet of baby wipes and a "travel john"), and small comfort/entertainment items, i.e. MP3 player, deck of waterproof cards, harmonica, mini-chess set. The wide padded MOLLE strap lays across the top (giving me ready access to my sunscreen, a Swiss Army knife, a small LED flashlight, and my optics in separate pouches on attached to the strap). At the non-padded nylon strap end of the main strap, I've attached a D-ring with handy waterbottle holder. More on this water bottle holder later, but while I drive the water bottle stands "upright" next to my left knee so I can easily grab it for quick drinks while driving. If I need a jacket or if it's raining, the opening to the main compartment is just under my right knee, and I pack in certain order (heaviest at bottom) so my light Goretex rainshell is folded into a compact pouch right at the top (or on the right as the bag lays on it's front "three pouch" side). I actually try my best not to "fill" the main compartment unnecessarily, but it's amazing how much stuff you can actually cram in there if you fold or compress it. Like, I've held a complete change of clothes including shoes, or sometimes when I'm using my Go Bag in conjuction with my rucksack or travel luggage, it is shaped to perfectly fit my entire "bedroll"/shelter system. I've even used my Go Bag as a rope bag and to hold my mountaineering equipment (racking right onto the lower nylon strap).

I throw a hard plastic case full of 10 energy bars in usually, for snacks.
I carry an empty hydration bladder in the rear interior pocket (for which it was designed) and run the tube out to the main strap. I'll use it to carry water in an emergency, but empty and flat it takes up almost no space and weighs only a few ounces. If I'm near/over water, I actually might inflate this bladder with air to make my whole Go Bag buoyant.
The three "front" pouches are truly a conundrum to me. I can't figure out what they were "designed" to hold. They are too small for a serious medkit or any logical configuration of common ammo (three 20-round M-4 mags???, or 1 box of shotshells???). The one-way zipper access makes them somewhat inconvenient (definitely not quick access). I actually considered removing them altogether and replacing them with more MOLLE so that I can configure my load the way I want to, but, the Go Bag already has a lot of MOLLE elsewhere. In the end, what I went with is 1) topmost "light" pouch, contains a light first aid pouch (field dressings and medications) 2) middle "medium pouch, contains my digital camera and equipment (batteries, tripod, memory sticks) 3) lower "heavy" pouch, contains my Field Repair Kit, which is a pouch that contains duct tape, wire, cable ties, hose clamps, parachute cord, sewing kit, mini-tools, which basically allows me to temporarily jerry rig almost anything, or set booby traps. Obviously many of the items are "dual" or "multi" use.
This leaves all of the MOLLE attachment points. On the side which faces the seat of my vehicle and is semi-hidden, I usually attach a holder or scabbard for one big tool. This is most often my little Special Forces spade when I road travel. This mini-shovel raises the fewest questions. Sometimes it is my Universal survival machete when I'm camping or bushwhacking. Or, simply my telescoping trekking poles when I'm hiking or geo-caching. In the direst emergencies (natural disaster, rioting/looting, survival, Y2k, etc), it will also perfectly fit another "short" very effective defensive device for which I made a custom scabbard for. Whatever is attached to this side, it remains out of sight, beneath my seat, but when the Go Bag slung diagonally on the back, it becomes readily accessible.
Despite the gripes I've heard about MOLLE, I love it for it's adaptability to suit the mission. The other MOLLE points on the Go Bag I change often to suit my needs for that day or that trip. These are the so-called "modules" that I have referred to. Often it is my general survival kit, a MOLLE pouch which has everything I need to survive for long periods, or, to signal for rescue if I need to. When I am going to an event where medical coverage may be scarce, I often attach my Medic kit module with more serious EMT level supplies and things for trauma. Sometimes it is my electronics kit, another MOLLE pouch which has all sorts of high tech goodies, (IR/UV emitter, IR camera, NVGs, communications). The point is, MOLLE is great because you can adapt to suit the mission.
I have "worn" my Go Bag touring around a city or hiking on a trail a few times (4-5 hours), and I think it is comfortable enough. The strap is wide, padded and comfortable, so it distributes the load well, however, it does tend to rub (chafe) the neck a little where the edge of the strap continually presses against it. Easily rectified with a collar or a scarf. The placement of that D-ring and the water bottle holder at the bottom of the strap was specificallly to keep the Go Bag oriented upright, like one of those "ergo" bags. Like any other bag, gravity will tend to swing the heaviest part of the load toward the bottom (naturally), so I found that adding that bit of weight (some water which I'd want to carry anyway) there balanced the load of the bag well. The pack will stay on your back.
Unlike other bags and packs, I really don't think the Go Bag was designed with quick access to gear in mind. It's kind of like a modern variation of the old butt packs or musette bags, just in a more comfortable place for riding in vehicles. I consider it the modern equivalent to a "saddle bag".
Whatever you choose for your go bag or BOB, be sure to organize it so that you have quick access to your most often used gear. Things like knives/tools, lighting, water bottle, compass/gps, optics, are things that you might pull out often, and therefore might warrant an outside pocket or pouch. The same goes for some emergency items like first aid, rescue equipment, and handy tools, where you might not want to be digging around your pack while you are bleeding out, or some buddy slipped off some cliff. Things that are heavy/bulky, seldom accessed or accessed once a day can go deep into the bottom of your bag... sleeping items, cookware, extra clothes, comfort items, and rations.
I believe in "a place for everything and everything in it's place", a habit I learned while being the custodian of a very high level security master access key for a facility (to re-key the entire facilty for a lost key would have been thousands of dollars). Through much trial and experimentation, I worked out the most efficient and ergonomic arrangement for my gear, bought or modified clips, holders, holsters, or pockets for them, and have been keeping this same consistent arrangement for 20 years now. I like flaps with "positive" clips, I like slightly tight "friction" tension, I like flat pouches that protrude no more than 1" from my body. This makes it hard for pickpockets also (not that any have dared to come near me in years of travel). I have practiced accessing my equipment by "feel", with or without light, and in almost any orientation (including off-hand, supine, hanging off a wall, hands tied behind my back, and submerged). <----BTW, consider weapons training this way also. The by-product of this is, everything is exactly where you expect it to be and nowhere else. If my keys are missing, I don't have to search through 20 pockets, 3 sets of clothes, or search my house, workspace or vehicle... there is one place and only one place where I place my keys EVERY TIME. The same goes for every other piece of gear I carry.
In one of the survival schools that I attended (JEST), we were encourage to "dummy cord" critical equipment (knife, compass, flare pouch, match case, etc). For EDC, I don't go that far, but if the situation became life or death, I might, especially when doing activities that suspend, jostle or necessitate changing ones orientation from vertical to horizontal at any time (martial arts, climbing, rafting).

No comments:

Post a Comment