Saturday, June 13, 2009

Magic Bullets and the Riddle of Steel

"What matters is not the steel within the blade, but the steel within the man" -- from Conan the Barbarian


Ok. I'm just going to say it. With few exceptions and the unpredictable effect of plain blind luck, the type of bullet and the type gun really does not matter when it comes down to 99% of defensive shootouts. Once again, the ammo and weapon don't matter. They are merely the tool. What matters is the skill, condition, and will of the shooter (the tool user). Just as a talented artist, carpenter, musician, or chef even with inferior tools and materials, may yet create something superior to an untrained amateur, wannabe or hack, I'd bet a trained Navy SEAL even armed with an antique .31 calibre percussion cap black powder revolver would probably defeat a 14-year old Rwandan youth conscript with an AK-47 in a head to head shootout. I emphasized the will of the shooter also because no matter how well trained, well practiced, and well equipped a person is, there is always the final human element, that is, the willingness to take another human life. There are some who cannot, and there are still many others who will hesitate and freeze at the moment of decision. It's been said, "It's not the gun that kills, it's the cold, cold heart."


Through the years I've observed many different calibers of ammunition take their turn becoming the hottest, best thing to come around (like fads) and I've somewhat followed the reasoning and the science of these various calibres as they've come into popularity and evolved, mainly since the infamous 1986 Miami-FBI Shootout. I have tried many of the different calibres (.45 ACP, 9mm, 10mm, .41 Action Express, .40 S & W).


I don't necessarily want to discuss the pros, the cons and the history of specific ammunitions here. If you find that a certain weapon and ammo works for you, then great. Good luck. I went through a long 2 decade evolutionary journey myself and in the end, I came back full circle to 3 basic weapons calbres (tools) that I will recommend.

The .45 ACP handgun round, the 12-gauge shotgun shell, and 5.56mm NATO rifle round are three well-tested, dependable, versatile, and practical ammunitions that are very commonly available around the world. I mention this availability because those that choose weapons that fire uncommon, exotic or foreign rounds no matter how good or high tech they are may find difficulty with resupply.

As I mentioned earlier, a tiny .22LR pistol in the hands of someone that knows how to use it (an assassin) can be potentially as deadly as a .44 magnum in the hands of untrained novice (the dude who came out of the bathroom with the "hand cannon" in Pulp Fiction). I prefer the .45 ACP because of it's excellent first round stopping power, that is, a single hit from a .45 ACP causes enough shock and trauma to incapacitate a target. Due to it's wide diameter and relatively slow muzzle velocity, a .45 ACP tends to push a big conical wound cavity behind the point of entry, deforming fairly evenly, and rarely punching all the way through a body (making it safer for bystanders). The downside to the larger diameter round is that .45 ACP is heavy to carry, the pistols tend to be bulky, and it does take some practice to master.

I would usually carry only one spare mag (mostly due to the weight of .45 ACP) for defensive carry, in my offhand coat pocket. I figure if I can't extricate myself from a situation in 21 rounds (10 + 10 + 1) then I'm probably hosed anyway. When I know I'm heading for trouble (in the immortal words of Captain Malcom Reynolds when "I aim to misbehave"), that is, mission carry, I'll increase that to three spare mags (the one in the pocket, plus two in a mag holder on my belt).


When I purchase a new handgun, I always buy 6 new factory magazines with it (so a total of 7), planning on 4 mags for rotating use, and 3 for training use and abuse, marked with blue tape. "Real world" training means dropping mags on the fly (something to correct if you are still neatly collecting your brass, or catching your empty mag in your free hand to protect it like at the range). I load up my magazines differently according to my intended mission. Like, for hiking out in the boonies, my first round is always "snakeshot", just in case, or at home, it's Glasers so as not to penetrate walls. For general tactical use, I like the extra stopping power of any of the hollowpoints, especially Black Talon, Federal HydraShoks, and Winchester Silvertips. And, my third round in the magazine (therefore 3rd from the bottom)... is always a tracer, an Army technique... when I see or "feel" and hear (because it's a heavier load) the tracer go, then I know I have one more shot (one in the pipe, one in the mag) before a quick tactical reload with a round still in the chamber (and no magazine disconnect safety!). With a round in the chamber, I can still defend myself during the reload just in case, rather than being empty and helpless with the slide (obviously) locked back.


Now, as ubiquitous as they are on TV and movies, and as sexy and powerful as they seem to hold and fire, pistols are considered "sidearms" or back-up weapons by serious shooters, and they actually take some training, practice and skill to operate effectively. If you are one of those people that are now dismissively thinking, what can be so complicated? just point and shoot, right? then, you are exactly the type of person that will likely get shot in a gun battle. Unless you have the time to add a monthly "range practice" to your life, I don't recommend a handgun.


If you can only get 1 firearm, or if you don't have the time to regularly go to the range and practice, the firearm that I most recommend for defense is the 12-gauge shotgun. It really is the weapon of choice for easily making a hit at close (defensive) range regardless of skill level. Defensive range is statistically most likely to be 0 to 7 feet (under 2 metres). Except for some military situation, I can't think of many real defensive scenarios that would be require longer ranges. The shotgun is the weapon that almost anyone can point and shoot and be effective. A "double-aught" 00 shotgun round contains the eqivalent of 9 pistol bullets. So just imagine, with each pull of a shotgun trigger, 9 shots are sent down range in a deadly, gradually expanding conical pattern. The downside to the shotgun is that it does not have much of a maximum effect range, it's not specifically accurate, and both the weapon and the ammo are relatvely heavy. I recommend attaching "side saddles" and shell loops to the shotgun itself for immediate reloads, and then carry a few shotshell pouches with individual elastic loops for carrying almost a full shot shell box more.

Another great thing about 12-gauge shotgun ammo is the wide variety of regular and "exotic" rounds that are made for it. Beside being able to select shot sizes from the miniscule #12 (birdshot) to the "triple-aught" 000 and rifled saboted slugs, 12-gauge shotgun shooters can readily and legally get tracers, smoke, rubber shot, flechette, buck and ball, aerial flares, loud bird bombs, bean bags, and even non-lethal CS and lead powder (for blasting out door hinges).


I only mention the rifle round because in a disaster, survival or worst case scenario, there may be a variety of weapons readily available, the so-called "battlefield pick-ups". Again, I don't recommend untrained people trying to operate select fire military type rifles, but in the interests of information, I just stated that probably the best, most practical, and the most likely weapon calibre that you'd find are the 5.56mm NATO round, FMJ and the 7.62mm X 39 rifle round for the Kalashnikov. In the US, you might more often encounter the 5.56mm NATO. It is a rifle round well designed for accuracy, and 1st hit trauma. It's a "light" round for a rifle, so it has minimal recoil and lots of ammo can be carried. It's a high velocity round, so it has decent range and penetration (through walls and foliage). And when it enters tissue, it immediately starts to tumble end over end, causing a very deep, irregular wound channel that is both hard to track and hard to repair.

I personally prefer the new SS-109 "black tips" manufactured in Canada for good optimum performance. I stock that, in it's hermetically sealed MRE-thick bags, bandoliers and plastic stripper clips, as my "doomsday" (if TSHTF) ammunition stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment