Sunday, June 7, 2009

Keep on Trekkin'

On this subject, I was guilty of ignorance for a long time I'll confess. I joined my comrades in snidely commenting on and snickering at those dorks that I'd see on the trail who were using trekking poles. They looked like wannabe cross-country skier's who'd lost their skis. Maybe they fancied themselves to be hardcore Seven Summits climbers like they'd seen on PBS or something. I myself, on every hike almost as a ritual, would find or fabricate a nice walking stick for myself out of a fallen tree branch and then at the end of the hike return it to the forest. It really was difficult for me to imagine what real benefit a pair of poles would have over a single walking stick or staff. And so, I skoffed and laughed along with everyone and, kharmically, I ended up missing out for a good decade on the tremendous benefits and qualitative improvements that I could have had by using trekking poles.


My favourite outdoors store, REI, put a set of decent Leki trekking poles on sale long ago for like $20 so what the heck (a good deal is a good deal) I decided I'd get them and who knows, maybe sell them later. I threw the trekking poles in the closet (such an apt metaphor) and actually did not use them for about a year. Then a friend and hiking partner of mine one fine morning mentioned that he's going to try out these new trekking pole things that he just bought. Well, what the heck, I decided to break out my "new" poles and try them out too.



At first we did feel rather foolish and self-conscious and we really could not detect much difference in the hiking experience except for surer footing and a slight fatigue in the arms and upper body (from using unfamiliar muscles). But it was a couple of miles into the hike and when we hit our first major ascent (like a 1000 foot elevation gain in less than 1/2 mile) that we suddenly "felt" the difference. Once you get into a steady rhythmn and learn to use the poles efficiently, they steady and enhance your stride on level ground and to even cushion (by re-distribution) the weight of your body and pack. Then OMG! on the ascents, I suddenly powered up the steep mountainside with confidence and energy to spare because instead of just my legs working like climbing a stairway without a railing, I now had the benefit of both my arms pulling me upward also, exactly like holding onto a nice solid railing perfectly positioned on either side of me. The difference was remarkable. Tough, moderately steep ascents (like a pitch under Class 3) became, I wouldn't say "easy", but easier and less strenuous. And on the downhills, I didn't realize how much I was pounding the ground and stressing my back and knees until I tried the trekking poles and suddenly the burden was lifted.


Essentially, these strong, but lightweight poles shifted perhaps as much as 25% of the workload previously carried by my legs alone, to my arms and upper body. So now, not only do I feel like I get more of an even full body (upper and lower) workout when I hike, but I'm able to hike longer, ascend stronger, descend safer, and in general have more secure footing all around because it is like a handy portable "hand rail" on the path that is always there to support and steady me. They have already saved me from countless falls, slips, and badly twisted ankles.


Additionally, having a pair of handy constant "probes" in one's hands, it is easy to test the ground in front of you. Is it muddy? Will the detritus slip out under my feet? Is that a secure rock or a loose one? Was that a snake? They're also useful as an extension of your hand to push foliage out of the way, cobwebs, or manipulate things in the search for geo-caches. Through the years, I've optimized my technique for using trekking poles effectively, conserving a lot of energy and avoiding wasted motion. Basically, I let the lightweight poles swing forward mostly with gravity, pivoting them at my wrist and the top two fingers and thumb of my hands, then plant slightly ahead, and then rest my weight on the poles (like using a railing) as I simultaneously step and push myself forward. Then repeat for the other side. For ascents, I change my grip slightly to a full hand, four finger grip, and I shift the poles slightly back. The pole plants occur nearly alongside my body (abeam in nautical terms) and push back and down on the pole, "pulling" myself up with my pole even as I stride forward and upward. The I repeat. That's not all, it is still possibe, to use ascent techniques like rest step in conjunction with the trekking poles. For descents, I change my grip again to the top of the poles. I happen to have a pole with T handles which are most convenient I find for ergonomically descending. With my hands on top, I plant my poles ahead of my feet and basically put my weight "on" the poles, like a cane or a crutch, thus lessening the weight and impact that my knees and back feel.



The difference between hiking with trekking poles and without is dramatic, like night and day. I daresay that with the aid of my trekking poles, I shall be able to continue hiking well into my old age. The composition of trekking poles has gotten increasingly high tech also. Aluminum is now almost "old school", but they are indeed pretty lightweight and sufficient. Titanium alloy and graphite are more state of the art nowadays. Hard tungsten-carbide tips are pretty standard now. Grip material and grip design vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I prefer the "T" or "L" handle design because I find the change in grip ergonomic when descending. Cork is supposed to be both lightweight and moisture absorbant. I prefer moulded-nubby parkerized rubber. Colour varies. I don't really care, but I'd always prefer some shade of green, for camo and blending in.


Being the gadgety type person that I am, I have added a few adjuncts, accessories and am considering future modifications to my trekking poles. First of all, I added a cushioned neoprene grip sleeve at a critical intersection that used to cause me blisters. I have a handy LED light integral to one pole so that I can continue hiking after dark. I also have a quick-release snap off/on mounting device attached to one pole, in case I want to use my pole as a camera monopod, or if I want to read my GPS as I zero in on a cache, I can quickly attack that. This same mount can also fit my cell phone also, for calls on the move. Using the camera attached to the mount on the trekking pole can produce some pretty amazing angle shots (like imagine a shot from somewhere over a cliff, shooting back to like a vista point. I had a pet electronics project in mind to wire up a battery to one of my poles so that the opposite "business" end can be a contact stunner (cattle prod) for defensive purposes.


Again, in a survival situation, don't forget the many potential uses for trekking poles. As supports, as extensions of the arms (or legs), as weapons, as probes, as cooking utensils, etc, etc.

From experience I'd like to mention some desirable, value-adding attributes of good trekking poles.
-adjustable length/collapsible - not only for ideal personal length, but also so that it can be longer for descents or using them as a single staff, and shorter for easier storage and for steep ascents.
-snap-lock system - rather than the twist on tension lock, for several good reasons. Not only is the twist on type lock harder to use, especially when hands are cold, wet, numb or in gloves, but I have found that they spontaneously loosen with the constant impact of hiking use, and I'd occasionally find them collapsing when I'm not expecting it. Some non-hiking poles have the nesting sleeve-shock cord system of collapsing.
-the handle grip area should be extra long... 6" minimum down the shaft as much as 12" - this allows quick "choking up" when ascending and extra grip area when using it as a single long walking staff.
-the handle grip area should be ergonomically shaped and most importantly they must not have irritating bumps, ridges or seams right at the "v" intersection of the thumb and index finger. This is a critical stress point where blisters commonly form.
-the handle (though gloves are recommended) should be made of non-slip material, especially when wet or slick with sweat. Cork, rubber, grippy plastic.
-though optional, I prefer the handle to have a top-cross bar, either an "L" or "T", which allows a change of grip to the top of the handle when descending.
-finally, made of very lightweight material, the lighter the better as long as strengtmh is retained. Aluminum, graphite, carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium. It always seems inconsequential in the comfort of a shoppe, but after 5 hours of hiking, a few ounces extra starts to feel like a tonne.

All the other options, such as baskets, tips, colour, hand straps, compasses, camera monopods, carrying cases are all secondary considerations and don't effect performance much.

No comments:

Post a Comment