Thursday, June 11, 2009

Batteries, Re-chargeables, and Solar Power


Perhaps I am just revealing my old-fashioned, perhaps outmoded, way of thinking, but I strongly believe in, as much as it is possible, keeping as many of my electronic devices running on regular common-sized alkaline batteries, i.e. D, C, AA, AAA. Though I acknowledge that CR123s, N cells, and other currently popular batteries are powerful for their compact size, they are also mighty expensive, drain from peak levels rapidly, and are generally hard to find except in the industrial nations of the world. I harp on this issue because, through experience, I have learned many hard lessons about doing it the wrong way. I plan to explain more fully why these modern high performance devices that use the "exotic" battery types may not be the best for survival and disaster purposes.


Let me preface by stating, I try not to depend on electronics at all. I try to use human-powered hand tools, dynamo generators, solar panels, and non-electric manual old tech as much as I can. But nevertheless there are certain electronic devices that are just too advantageous or irreplaceably practical in everyday life to not use. Things such as cell phone, digital camera, GPS, music player, SAT phone, LED flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, 2-way radios, AM/FM/Weatherband radio, etc, and for them you inevitably need a good power supply. Furthermore, although I acknowledge how "un-green" this opinion is, I don't like rechargeable batteries either, or more specifically, I don't like to rely on rechargeable batteries.



Rechargeables are a wonderful idea and would be great if they worked to peak efficiency (I won't say 100%) even most of the time. But they don't. Performance degrades from day 1 and subtlely worsens with each repeated recharging. Rechargeables have to be carefully "managed" and fully discharged occasionally, otherwise, things like "memory effect" and other performance issues arise. The reliability issue comes into play when you actually start to use the device... now is that GPS going to work 20 hours? or 15 hours? or just 8 hours? I require the reassurance of knowing that when I put two fresh AAs into my GPS that it will work for a full 30 hours (my GPS Map 60CX sips power). I don't have time to mess around with guessing games when I am relying on this critical electronic device to work. Same with my flashlights, same with my SAT phone.



The worst of the rechargeable batteries IMO are the internal (non-removeable) power packs, or the specially sized, specially shaped proprietary batteries made specifically for that unit and that unit only. It may seem like a smart and convenient feature when you first get it, but wait a few months... the internal battery will start to lose the ability to hold a full charge, after awhile it will seem to discharge very rapidly, and it may start builiding up excessive heat while re-charging. And what is your only recourse? Send the entire unit in for and expensive repair (often costing more than the cost of buying the latest model). Good luck recharging when the power is out. Or you may dutifully lug the recharger around with you when you travel or buy the car adapter, but what happens when the internal battery finally quits on you. Well, good luck trying to locate that EL--960-Zed Power Pack in some remote village in Thailand or on some Greek Isle. The same goes for the exotic N-cells, CR123s and AAAAs... try finding them in a street bazaar in Morocco or even in a regular 7-11 convenience store.



With a few notable (and annoying) exceptions, all of my electronics gear runs on AA batteries, can be powered by a AA battery adapter to a mini-USB plug, from a hand-crank dynamo to a mni-USB plug, run from a USB device with a battery/wall plug to a mini-USB or from a set of solar panels that charge up AA batteries. In other words, all of my electronics are power compatible and I have many options on how I can keep them powered up (out in the boonies, while traveling, in emergencies, etc.). I make it a point to ask about the power supply when I buy any new electronics, always trying to find AA or mini-USB compatible devices.

So that is my main recommendation. Whenever you buy electronics... specifically ask what sized battery it takes. If you haven't already, start a programme of buying electronic devices that are all compatible, therefore diminishing the necessity to buy too many different sizes of batteries. Avoid "exotic" battery sizes. Avoid proprietary internal battery packs.
In a small Pelican case, which fits in my BOB, I carry a "brick" of 16 fresh AA Alkaline batteries in a battery case when I travel. This Pelican case also has my AA battery adapter/charger and my little dynamo-crank device. I also carry 4 extra AAs in my camera pouch, also in a battery case. And, in my BOB, I keep a combination memory card case/battery case with 4 more AAs. But, by choosing this common AA size, I can find some brand of AA battery even in tiny podunk General Stores and in 3rd world countries. If I buy from a good supplier (like Costco), I can pay as little as .30 cents per battery and know within reason, about what I can expect from this 100% factory fresh cell. What's a CR123 cost? $3-5 per cell for about how hours of peak operation?? I've had CR123 devices and AAAAs and other currently popular sizes and I've done the math and hassled with their relative scarcity.

On a related topic, I must say that though I fully embrace the concept and sincerely wished that it actually worked flawlessly, I have had a tumultuous history with solar chargers (photovoltaic solar energy collection panels and battery re-chargers). This is one of the technologies of the future that I really wish worked just as advertised. I yearn for them to work so that we can ALL just switchover. I have been trying to use them for about 20 years now, and I have done some serious research and field testing on several different brands and models.

I have found only one commercially available solar panel that works nominally, I have two that work let's just say "inefficiently", and I have tried two others which are just rubbish (totally impractical under real world conditions and a waste of money). Now I don't plan to trash any name brand or other here, but I will try to distill the benefit of my experience down to a few simple to follow concepts which should logically help you to make your own decision.

First, solar panels are supposed to collect the free, limitless energy radiating from the sun. This requires access/exposure to the sun. Duh. If you can't face the panels directly toward the sun, if the panels are moving (like in/on a vehicle or backpack), or if there is any obstructions (shade, trees, or clouds), it won't collect at peak efficiency.

Secondly (and read this carefully), the efficiency of the solar collection is directly proportional to the collecting surface area. In other words... the bigger the panel, the more sunlight you can collect, and the smaller the solar panel, the less solar energy you can collect. So with my approximately 1 square meter solar panel, I can run my portable radio (receiver) and an LED lantern.

Anything electronic can be run for a reasonable amount of time (an evening in camp) that does not require mechanical energy (like a motor, computer drive or a fan will consume all power in just minutes) or any appliances that produces heat (like a hot plate, hair drier, heater, or curling iron) because heat is actually produced by an electrical short. Hooking a solar panel up to rechargeable batteries is an indirect way to utilize the energy from the sun, and that same 1 square metre panel can recharge a pair of batteries (any size) in about 1 hour. So it logically follows that my smaller solar panels take much more time to collect enough sunlight to re-charge the same pair of batteries.


Logically ask yourself, is there really enough surface area to make a sufficient charge in a reasonable amount of time. Think about some of those "mini" solar panels that are on sale (for $100+), how much time do you think they take to charge up a pair of batteries? 4 to 8 hours? What if you don't have time to be stationary or to direct the panel toward the sun for that long? (just do the math, 8 hours of charging... essentially all day to get just one pair of re-chargeable batteries refreshed?)


Additionally, many solar panel systems don't meet another one of my performance criteria, waterproofness. Most units are not even water resistant, or in anyway designed to be used in precipitation. I spend time on or in the water, and most certainly in inclement weather, so many solar panels do not pass my rudimentary "ruggedness" test.

No comments:

Post a Comment