Monday, June 1, 2009

Pedes, Non Impedimentus Nunc


I get the impression that the vast majority of people think of shoes as just "apparel", as in coverings for the feet, and most commonly select them for their looks, their brand name, or how they match whatever other clothes they are wearing. To me shoes, or better yet boots, are"LPCs" (leather personnel carriers) to me, or in other words, "basic transportation". As such, a good set of footwear is a category of equipment that I consider vital (as in the "it could save your life someday" and "you may not survive without them" sense). That's why I don't skimp on expense/quality, and I would only casually select a shoe by it's appearance if it were for a temporary costume. When I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes/boots, I research very carefully, read reviews, try them on for hours, and know most of the "professional" tips and tricks for boot fitting.


Footwear is critical equipment in the few hectic moments of an emergency or in a survival situation if you have to be mobile. Just picture yourself immediately scrambling out of a collapsed building, crashed vehicle or some other imminent danger, through debris, broken glass, spilled chemicals, perhaps even flames... or imagine a ten mile trek back to civilization to get help... and doing it with what you have on your feet right now. Barefoot? you're screwed. High heels? good luck. Those cheap $10 bargain bin "light hiker" knockoffs? uh, maybe, if they don't ignite or come unglued. As I've noted before, even a small innocuous break in your skin (stepping on a rock, a thorn, a piece of glass, a cactus needle) and subsequent infection when you're hungry, stressed and physically taxed can lead to infection, sepsis, incapacitating illness and death. I recall this horrifying anecdote of some African explorer who stepped in dung while barefoot and in a few days could actually see and feel tiny maggot-like larvae squirming under his toenails (!!).


In pinch, I know I can make or improvise other clothing items if I need to, but I cannot make myself a good much less high-performance pair of hiking boots. Maybe rudimentary mocassins, or VC "Tevas" out of tire tread, at most. Therefore, I always list well-made, well-fitted footwear as one of my 5 most valued possessions. Though not rare by any means, they are not readily replaceable assets.


As with all my other gear, it is just as important to "maintain" your footwear. Rotate them out if they are daily wear. Air dry them with tongues fully open whenever possible. Use odour absorbing and cushioning insoles for long-wear shoes. Out of habit, I tend to polish, saddle soap, or waterproof all my footwear on a regular maintenance schedule. In wet weather, I lean them "up" for drainage and ready air-drying.


The Army does exhaustive research on footwear, and going with any of the current issue models of combat boots is never a bad choice. They are well-built and comfortable. The suede-out desert tan boot with panama sole, rolled top edge, and speed laces is a great long distance, hot-weather boot. I am from the highly polished black combat boot era, so I have a bias toward black tactical boots. As an MP, I favoured light, aggressive sole, and highly supportive boots, but I started to sacrifice some of that height for more comfort/ventilation and believe it or not, ease of taking on/off or lacing. From the literally hours that I spent on my feet every shift as a medic, my boot of choice became the Hi-Tec Magnum 6" Air Tacs. They weighed almost nothing, yet they supported my ankles and protected my feet, and had this large "air bubble" chamber in the heel which absorbed impact and made them soooooo comfortable. I bought the waterproof/breathable version of course, and I modified them with elastic speed laces (so I can just pull them on like a pair of socks), hidden compartments for a boot knife (down one side), and a mini-"escape" kit on the other (contains scalpel blade, handcuff key, lock shim, lock pick jiggler and tension bar). I loved these boots and I think these would be my first choice if the things get really bad. About the only thing that I don't like about them is that they are manufactured in China. But, it was just too good a boot to pass up.


I log a lot of foot miles every year, so I take my choice of hiking boot very seriously also. Since the advent of "light" hikers, I've been flip flopping back in forth between heavy mountaineering boot designs (Merrell, Northface, and yes, even Timberlands before they went "gangsta") and the serious light hiker designs (like Vasque, Nike, Asolo). My current favourite is a "medium" hiker made by Northface, the Jasper Canyon GTX Hiking Boots. They have the light hiker look, but are supportive enough for backpacking. They are waterproof and breathable and have a Vibram sole with aggressive tread (suitable for scrambling). I have traveled the world in these and they have always performed flawlessly and, with care, have yet to show the slightest signs of wear (after 2 years). It's a high performance boot with a casual civilian look, so I love the way it allows me to blend in. These are often the boots that I'm most likely to be wearing.


Some honourable mentions include this very unique split-toe design working shoe that I found in Japan. In fact in Japan these are very common "workboots" worn by tradesmen and construction people that have to work at high angles, on roofs and in trees (and such). They are very strange looking to Westerners, who associate this split toed look to "Ninja" boots. They have a grippy rubber sole and are somewhat soft, but they give you a grabby feel when you are on uneven surfaces. Certain skilled craftsmen use them because it actually allows them to grab and hold things with their feet while they work with their hands. While I would not choose this boot for long walks, I definitely notice an advantage to wearing them for certain climbing, SWAT, rescue, stealthy operations.


I do like the comfort and versatility of the Teva "river" sandals. They are sturdy, comfortable, totally amphibious, secure on the feet (unlike other sandals or flip flops), and adaptable/useful to various conditions especially when traveling (like from casual footwear, to shower shoes, to sandals for pool/beach). The older (original) models had a severe drawback as the porous rubber used to trap foot bacteria from sweat and would stink to high heaven after a month. Now, the Teva corporation has fixed that problem with this Micro-Ban Zinc technology imbedded in the rubber which inhibits the bacterial growth. Phew!


Finally, I like Rockports, Eccos, and Merrells and similar type so-called "walking shoes", which are basically all-leather casual shoes with a split sole, and heel counters designed for comfortable walking and touring. They are very comfortable low quarter shoes, designed for long hours on one's feet, but usually have waffle tread Vibram soles like a hiking boot. These are the kind of shoes recommended by travel experts like Rick Steves. Additionally I prefer that mine are also waterproof/breathable also (not that it matters much when it's a low quarter design). The great advantage to these high quality shoes are, they appear dressy enough to wear with anything from cargo pants and jeans up to nice slacks and sportcoat, so they do double duty when I travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment