Monday, June 1, 2009

Map 60 Is All That and a Bag of Chips Too


I am writing today about what is currently my favourite and most useful little electronic device, the Garmin GPS Map 60Cx. Though I try not to get too attached to material things if I were pressed into naming my 5 most valued possessions, I'd have to include this, my personal GPS unit, without hesitation. I love my Garmin Map 60 and all the things it enables me to do. I'd say in the last 5 years of my life since I bought the Map 60, it has significantly enhanced my life and the enjoyment of the outdoors manyfold (particularly with my enthusiastic new pasttime... geocaching!). Nor do I think I would now (want to) travel without this handheld Map 60 or a similar good GPS, for reasons I will soon explain. And, though it may sound somewhat "melodramatic" for me to say, I will even go as far as to say, it may have already saved my life (or at least saved me from a harder ordeal or greater suffering) already.... it's hard to say exactly what might have happened. I was never that bad at wilderness navigation already, but I simply do not/cannot get "lost" anymore (like in the old map and compass days). Within 10 feet or so, I always know precisely where I am on the Earth and I must say, it has taken just a bit of the mystery and magic out of my world as a consequence.


The Garmin GPS Map 60, which includes the Map 60CSx and the Map 60Cx is, IMHO, even 5 years after it's introduction and after 5 years of newer more "upgraded" models, is still the old reliable workhorse of the Garmin line of GPSs. Garmin has gone on to add more memory, more bells and whistles, touch screens and other "innovative" new interfaces, but for the money, they have not yet made a significant improvement over the Map 60 yet. Like what? right away I can name two significant things.... the Oregon and the Colorado are battery hogs and will drain away a pair of AAs in about 8 hours (it seems) whereas I usually get a nominal 22 to 24 hours out of a Map 60 CSx and up to an amazing 31 hours on my Map 60Cx (which is the same unit minus the electronic compass and barometer). The second thing is the ease of operation or ease of interface. Head to head, I can navigate the various screens, input new data, and look up information much faster with my trusty old Map 60 than I can the fancy new GPSs with touch-screens or that dial-a-wheel thingy. There is something very ergonomic about the Map 60 in my hand, and I especially love how I can operate it with my gloves (Nomex aviator's) on.


I've owned 3 other GPS units (plus the Magellan I used in the Army) and I was a very "early adopter" of GPS technology. Back in the 80s, I never dreamed that a regular civilian would ever be able to own and access technology as advanced, expensive and as useful as Global Positioning System. My first few GPS units were all disappointments in various ways, but mostly because it was frustratingly difficult to ever lock in the requisite 3 satellites, or to not lose your signal as soon as you walked into a grove of trees, or standing next to (much less inside) a building. Even in a vast ocean of desert, the old Magellans would take 10 minutes to "initialize" and lock satellites, during which time it burned away half it's battery life! (<---I'm only exagerating a bit). The wondrous Garmin GPS Map 60Csx is the first unit that simply worked for me just as described. It took me aback at first. No more wasting time searching endlessly for satellites while initiating, no more losing signal at the slightest interference, no more "jumping" when you reached your coordinates, and no more changing out batteries in ridiculously short durations and then losing all my data/position. This unit uses this new SiRF II technology which seems infinitely more sensitive than previous models (and any other brands). It quickly locks satellites like nobody's business, even indoors, even in a car, even in the middle of a thick Redwood forest or deep in a ravine. In other words, it's actually useful.


My favourite use for the Map 60 is the hobby/sport of "geo-caching". If you don't know what that is check out http://www.geocaching.com/. Basically (with tongue firmly in cheek), it is the "sport" or activity of using multi-billion dollar satellites in Earth orbit to locate little tubs of Tupperware in the woods. It's like a treasure hunt, but using tech devices. Seriously, it is a lot more fun than you may think, and it has really given me a great new reason to go traipsing and thrashing about through the wilderness and it has led me to beautiful wildlife, meeting great like-minded people, unforgettable vistas, and many fun-filled "adventures". Frankly, it is just the kind of thing that the Boy Scout in me just loves.... hiking with an objective.


Secondarily, I often use my Map 60 for a vehicle GPS system. I just mounted a bracket for it on my truck dashboard (note: it is actually illegal in CA to install it on your windshield) and plugged into my cigarette lighter adapter to save batteries, it gives me great full colour, backlit, turn by turn instructions as well as helpful guides to gas stations, motels, Starbucks and McD's along the road.


Thinking a little outside the box, another use that I put my GPS to is as a "travelogue" or travel diary. During my trips abroard or essentially anywhere I go now, I just turn my GPS Map 60 on, clip it to my belt, and even though I may not necessarily need directions, it serves as a "recorder" of all of my movements throughout the day. I would occasionally mark "waypoints" for places of interest that I might want to remember (like the spot where I took a photo) or a nice restaurant that I might want to find again. When I get home from my vacation, I have a complete and accurate "log", practically step by step, of every place that I went. I archive and cherish these "track logs" as much as the photos and souvenirs from my trip.


Ten Things I LOVE about the GPS Map 60:
1) Locks satellites efficiently. With the SiRF II chipset, it works like a dream! On the average it takes about 1 minute, if stationary.
2) Sips battery power. Unlike other units, it operates for a long time on a pair of AAs. I'm consistently getting about 30 hours battery life on my Map 60Cx.
3) Uses common AA batteries. Why is this a "plus"? Unlike specially sized or worse yet "internal re-chargeable" battery packs in some units, the GPS Map 60 uses common AA batteries that you can get almost anywhere in the world. With a fresh set of alkaline batteries you know with reliable certainty about how much battery "life" you'll get, rather than the uncertainty and degrading performance of re-chargeables. It also connects up to alternate power, like a car adapter, through a common mini-USB jack. Haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure that the same mini-USB means it can also be hooked up to those portable emergency chargers (battery, dynamo crank, or solar panels) for more options.
4) Fairly rugged and water resistant. It's not built to be "tough", but it has stood up to a whole lot of dropping, abrasions, accidental submersions, and lots of dust, dirt, and abuse. There is a nice Pelican (the 1030 model?) Box that fits the Map 60 like a glove BTW. Once it's in a Pelican, you can drive over it in a car or toss it into the ocean for fun.
5) Easy to use, intuitive controls, well placed. The interface is simple. The navigation screens are simple. If you are even a bit computer savvy, everything makes sense. Menus, have sub-menus, and pull down boxes that let you do your functions with minimum confusion. It's easy for me to operate with one hand. I also operate it with gloves on. Try that with your Oregon.
6) Includes easy to install, easy to use software. Just pop in the disk and it guides you right through everything. It's even fun to download your data and play around with... like to review your "day" on a map.
7) Nice compact size, practical sized colour screen. Lightweight, handheld, very portable. Ok... maybe a bit small for a car mounted GPS, and maybe the details of topo maps are hard to read without zooming in, but for a handheld unit, I think it is about the perfect size for me. Wouldn't want a screen much bigger (for size, durability, and power usage), and wouldn't want a screen much smaller (making the maps too small to read).
8) Upgradeable maps and additional data. Here's the "bag of chips" I alluded to in my title. The GPS Map 60 has a mini-SD memory stick onto which you can load detailed maps for about the Western third of the US. I haven't tried to load other (foreign) maps yet, or carry additional memory sticks, but this will give you a rough idea of the additional memory capacity. Anyway, you can load and carry practically the whole world on a series of mini-SDs.
9) Supported by a good range of accessories. Window mounts, handlebar mounts, clips, cases, carriers, power cords, data cords, external antenna, and various Map software.
10) Price is coming down (finally), a good value. I think the Map 60 is worth every cent I paid for it, but being that it is now an older unit, the price is coming down now. I've seen it for as low as $150 new on eBay, which is an incredible bargain. Would I buy this unit again?? Absolutely, without hesitation. It is one of the best electronic investments I've ever made.


I give the GPS Map 60 my highest recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment