Thursday, April 15, 2010

Poncho-based Shelter


Let me properly attribute and disclaim upfront that the excellent innovations and gear adaptations I'm about to write about are NOT my original ideas. I have been using my poncho (and sometimes grommeted tarps) for shelter since my earliest years outdoors and camping. I have been using my quilted poncho liner as my warm weather sleeping bag since my early days as a G.I. A couple of years ago, I read about this nifty idea on this website of this guy Warlord, who essentially re-used some collapsing shock-corded tent poles left over from an old tent, attached it to a military poncho and invented the "Alpha Tent". I thought the idea sounded great and eventually got around to buying my own tent poles and testing the concept this past winter season. Around 1986, while thumbing through my U.S. Cav catalogue, they offered a modified poncho liner, called the Delta Liner, for sale which had a long zipper along 2-edges that formed a bag, plus a velcro lined opening for the head so that it could be worn. This clever adaptation was thought up by a survival expert who goes by the name Ranger Rick. Traveling around in various environments over the years, this same basic core shelter system has served me well so I thought I'd describe it.

I do own my share of conventional tents, and high tech bivies and sleeping bag systems, along with self-inflating pads, chemical heaters, bug nets, and suspension systems. These are still great alternatives for extreme weather specialized expeditions and casual camping with all the amenities. And on the other end of the spectrum, I almost always carry around those Emergency Bivy sacks and space blankets as lightweight minimal back-ups, just in case I get caught in an unexpected overnighter in the woods. I now believe this shelter system based on the Alpha Tent and the Delta Liner is an excellent fast-deploying, lightweight, compact, portable, versatile compromise between the deluxe and the sparse.

I had mentioned this Alpha Tent and its website before, stating that I had not personally tested it yet. Well, after a season of field testing, I am very pleased to report that the Alpha Tent works remarkably well for such a relatively shallow draft shelter. Technically, it is essentially a "rain fly", the outer waterproof nylon shell that covers most tents. It provides sufficient shelter against rain (especially if you have other layers) and with tie-downs and stakes, it is an effective wind shelter. It's lightweight and compact (moreso than any tent or bivy). It is mechanically simple and fast erecting. It is even reasonably insulative. And, as the originator Warlord stated, it reduces redundancy (as the poncho is still available for myriad functions, esp raingear) and even the tent poles can be adapted to other functions (avalanche probes, emplacing protection using a carabiner clip, extended camera monopod, receiving antenna extension).

With full credit and kudos to Warlord, I've been able to make a few improvements to the original design and possibly a more convenient source for the tent poles. I found an internet seller of replacement aluminum tent poles and accoutrements, Quest Outfitters. Just search "replacement tent poles". For about $40 (US) I was able to purchase 12 black custom length aluminum tent poles, 4 metal end caps with requisite holes and protrusions, and 1/8" diameter bungee shock cord. The actual poles were 108" each (breaking down into six 18" sections each). As you see the diagram on the order page it will become clear that one must buy 10 sections with sleeve inserts, and 2 sections without sleeve inserts. BTW, the customer service at Quest is just outstanding and I was surprised to receive my pole order in just 2 days! Assembling the poles is quick and pretty self-explanatory. The hardest part was threading the shock cords through all the poles under tension and then tying and melting down the ends through the endcaps. It must be variations in poncho models, but I found that the 108" poles to be perfect for my ripstop camo poncho. It formed a nice domed shape with about about a 24" center peak. I found that placing a rubber band at the intersection point of the poles makes the tent more stable. Later, I started to place a custom "tent shelf" there, both to store small items (mini-lantern) and as a rain catch, channeling the poncho hood. The Alpha Tents best feature definitely is that it sets up and breaks down in about 2 minutes and it is so simple that it can be done in complete darkness.

In use, I start by finding a slightly elevated area, preferably level. If I can, I pile insulative foliage in a large rectangle (about 8' x 3'). I built up the sides so it forms a sort of "nest".
-I place my proprietary self-inflating, reflective insulative pad ("Beta Bed"... LOL) on the foliage, remembering that more heat can be lost through the ground than by exposure to the air.
-My camo Gore-tex bivy cover, the outer waterproof, windproof shell to the current military sleep system goes on top of that. These great outside layers are now readily available at a reasonably price separately at eBay.
-Then next goes my customized version of the Delta Liner (based on a thermal Halofil II poncho liner with an anorak-style belly pocket).
-A sleep cap (my Nomex balaclava rolled into watch cap) is an essential sleeping accessory that can preserve a LOT of body heat and in emergency survival situations, can save your life.
-I then wear a mesh sniper veil over my head, wrapping the ends around my neck. This is ostensibly for bug and mosquito protection, however, I find that it also tends to pre-warm/re-warms the air that I breathe at night and greatly reduces my tendency to catch respiratory infections from the cold.
-Finally, I anchor one of the long length sides of the poncho tent down using these bungee extensions and screw-in tent hooks. The anchored side should be windward, and the edges of the tent should actually sit on the insulative foliage, not the ground. This allows easy access/egress out one side and extra space within the tent (like I prefer to sleep on my side). In very high winds, the poncho tent can be completely staked down (6 anchor points) and easily unhooked when necessary.

Just like the poncho, the poncho tent makes a good sun awning. And the camouflaged colour makes it a decent base for a prone or sitting blind just as it is. I've been toying with the idea of attaching camoufluage attachment points, like a ghillie suit, to the exterior of the poncho and seam sealing it (to keep it waterproof) further adding to it's versatility.

A slightly off topic tangent here, but this is what I spend a lot of time doing at night, constantly improving or thinking of ways to improve existing kit or ways of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment